We Are Lee Temple Church Of God In Christ
We believe that the Bible is the Word of God and contains
one harmonious and sufficiently complete system of doctrine.
We believe in the full inspiration of the Word of God.
We hold the Word of God to be the only authority in all matters and
assert that no doctrine can be true or essential, if it does not find a place in this Word.
We Believe in The Father. The Son. The Holy Ghost.
The church was founded by Elder Morris Marion Lee in 1955. The ministry consisted of four (4) members. The Pastors wife, Sister Carrie E. Lee, her mother, Mother Betty Bobo, Sister Helen Ingram and Sister Evelyn Wray. The first location of the church was at 1210 E. 22nd Street, the building was owned by the late Bishop Reed. After a short time there, Pastor Lee was desperately needed to help a fellow Pastor, Elder John Collins. Fasting and praying he answered the call. The church was located at 702 W. North St. God really poured out his spirit, adding souls to the church, Sis. Eula Mathis, Sister Mary Underwood, Sister Willa Mae Beard, and Sister Barbara Wary.
The power of God swept through the building. Preaching, teaching, tarrying, revivals and the receiving of the baptism of the Holy ghost. Serving on North Street, Pastor Lee and his congregation was led to another building at 9th and Paca Street, the revival continued. As the man of God looked over the congregation, thanking God for his many, many blessings. Souls were being led to the church, women and children. Pastor Lee prayed for some men to be added to the ministry. God granted his request. The lord sent him his first man, saved him, and filled him with the Holy ghost. He was later made Deacon, Deacon Bennie Beard. Oh the joy that filled the room, the saints were shouting and praising God to the highest. After four (4) months on 9th and Paca, it came to Pastor Lee’s attention that the church on North Street was once again in trouble.
This time it had been sold. It was no longer in The Church of God In Christ. This grieved Pastor Lee’s heart. Praying to God for direction. God touched the hearts of people in the community; they wanted Elder Lee to have the church. God gave favor; the building was redeemed back to the Churches of God In Christ. God also gave favor with all the finances needed for purchase. God then gave Pastor Lee the church name. North Street church of God in Christ. Souls were added to the church, families, men and women. What a time, what a time, what a time.
Moving by the inspiration and power of God, in the year of 1983, Pastor Lee and the members had a great aspiration and needed to find another building. Because of the growth of IUPUI there was a strong possibility that we would soon get an offer on our property. The brethren got together and began to look for another building. The trustee Board came to a decision that it should be a beautiful edifice, no store fronts, no old building to renovate. We wanted a church looking at a few churches, there was always a question. Finally the brethren being led farther west gazed their eyes on a beautiful brick building, overwhelmed and excited, they rushed to Pastor Lee and the board members.
A meeting was set for all of those that desired to see the church and decide whether this would be our next home. Pastor Lee was overjoyed the members were elated, the brethren were proud. Pastor Lee stated to Mother Lee that God was going to give us the church. She replied “If God said it” then it’s yours. So once again God blessed in April 1984. Pastor Lee and Mother Lee and the members left 702 W. North St. headed west on Michigan Street to 273 North Holmes Ave. here everyone stood on that beautiful sunny day. Marching into the new home, later named Lee Temple Church of God In Christ. God continues to bless the church.
After the Lord called Pastor Lee home of March of 1996, Elder Willie James Sholar was installed as the next Pastor of Lee Temple Church of God In Christ by Bishop Milton L. Hall. God is taking Lee Temple to higher heights and deeper depths under his leadership. The church continued to grow in ministry and membership. Pastor Sholar served Lee Temple Church of God In Christ for the next 20 years doing outstanding work. He was led by the lord that his assignment was completed as Pastor of Lee Temple Church of God In Christ. On June 25 2017 Elder Michael A Coleman Sr. was installed as the next Pastor of Lee Temple Church of God In Christ. We are looking for the Lord to continued bless our church.
The Church Of God In Christ
The Symbol of the Church Of God In Christ is an outgrowth of the Presiding Bishop’s Coat of Arms which has become quite familiar to the Church. The design of the Official Seal of the Church was created in 1973 and adopted in the General Assembly in 1981 (April Session).
The obvious GARNERED WHEAT in the center of the seal represents all of the people of the Church Of God In Christ, Inc. The ROPE of wheat which holds the shaft together represents the Founding Father of the Church, Bishop Charles Harrison Mason, who, at the call of the Lord, banded us together as a Brotherhood of Churches in the First Pentecostal General Assembly of the Church, in 1907.
The date in the seal has a two-fold purpose; Firstly, to tell us that Bishop Mason received the baptism of the Holy Ghost in March 1907; and, Secondly, to tell us that it was because of this outpouring that Bishop Mason was compelled to call us together in November of 1907, to organize the Church Of God In Christ.
The RAIN in the background represents the Latter Rain or the End-time Revivals which brought about the emergence of our Church along with other Pentecostal Holiness Bodies in the same era. The rain also serves as a challenge to the Church to keep Christ in the center of our worship and service, so that He may continue to use the Church Of God In Christ as one of the vehicles of Pentecostal Revival before the return of the Lord.
This information was taken from the COGIC.ORG.